Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

stem cells.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kmotter

stem cells. Empty
PostSubject: stem cells.   stem cells. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 pm

When the subject of embryonic stem cell research comes up, there is sure to be a heated debate. Many people are weighing in on the argument, even if they are not clear on what both sides of the debate entail. Personally, I feel that the subject is not as clear as both sides would like us to believe. I do feel that the benefits of embryonic stem cell research could make dramatic advances on certain diseases that have had no hope for cure in the past. There are 100-150 million people who may benefit from the stem cell derived therapies and treatments coming from the research being done (Buzzle,2012). Embryonic stem cells provide researchers with a greater advantage in comparison to adult stem cells because embryonic cells are much easier to identify, isolate, and they can be purified with few problems. It is also easier to grow embryonic cells compared to adult cells.

Embryonic cells are harvested 5 to 7 days after conception. It is argued that at the stage of 5 to 7 days, the embryo is not developed enough to have a personal identity. (Buzzle,2012). Contrary to the people who disapprove of the use of embryonic cells, it is not the murder of an innocent baby. It is just a mass of cells at this point. Supporters of embryonic stem cell research believe that it can lead to cures for such diseases as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, heart disease, diabetes type 1, and spinal cord injuries. There are up to 5 more diseases that may also be benefited by this research. They include Lou Gehrig disease, lung disease, degenerative joint disease (arthritis), sickle cell anemia, and or failure(U.S. News, 2012). If there is even a slight hope that scientists can make progress in finding cures for these often deadly diseases, then I believe there should be no question that it can be beneficial to millions of people.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

stemcellstudy.ucsf.edu/
Back to top Go down
Nfausett

stem cells. Empty
PostSubject: Re: stem cells.   stem cells. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I agree with you Katie that all of that can happen from the embryonic stem cell research. As you said in your post they aren't taking the cell away from a human being just a whole bunch of cells. That makes it so you won't be hurting anything from doing it, so I can see why they would want to do this. I see from the research that everyone has done that there is no point of not doing this. It creates cures to certain diseases, and helps out others that are in need of cures to find a cure.

Boston children. (2012). Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
mlboyer

stem cells. Empty
PostSubject: Re: stem cells.   stem cells. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I agree katie the possibilities of stem cell research are outstanding. It has the potential to cure tons of diseases and help those who simply can not live with out. There have been studies that stated these cells "offer potential cures and therapies for many devastating diseases" (NIH, 2012). . Buzzle is right in the fact that embryos are not developed enough to have a personal identity yet, infact after only 7 days some people dont even know they are pregnant or have concieved. They are simply a bunch of foreign cells that have not been designated a purpose. There is and probably always be a heated debate on this topic because of once again it comes down to a basis of science vs. religion.

Stem Cells and Diseases . In Stem Cell Information [World Wide Web site]. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2012 [cited Tuesday, October 23, 2012] Available at <http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/health>

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stem cells. Empty
PostSubject: Re: stem cells.   stem cells. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stem cells.
Page 1 of 1