Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stem cells

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nfausett

Stem cells Empty
PostSubject: Stem cells   Stem cells I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Subject: Stem cells Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Is It Ethical to Obtain Stem Cells from Embryos

Well first off I think yes, because I can see why the people would conducting these tests would risk the chance of killing, an embryo but from doing this you can receive extensive research on following issues with stem cells. Doing this creates a way of curing patients who have tissues that are missing or diseased. So I think it would be ethical to obtain the stem cells, but the outcome of the embryos dying. It may very well be killing a human being though, that is why many people are against this. I think that if it interferes with someone dying it’s not really worth killing a new person to help one’s tissues that are diseased or gone to replenish it with someone else’s cells. In my research so far a new person isn't being killed, unless they were going to die anyways.

I agree with the bypass it is true that it wouldn't really hurt anyone if the being or person is going to die anyways. Then all it could do is help find ways to rebuild others tissues from the use of embryo’s stem cells. In an article I found that “stem cells and progenitor cells act as a repair system for the body, replenishing specialized cells, but also maintain the normal turnover of regenerative organs, such as blood, skin, or intestinal tissues.”(S. Judith, 2011) Now see this being essential for stem cells to be taken from the embryos and given to adults, because they need them so that their body can replenish cells and repair the body properly. So I would agree that we should do this, because all that it can do for the adults.

Andrew, P. (2012, Sept 16). Stem cells. Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

S. Judith. (2011, December 2). News-medical.net. Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
ckalkhof

Stem cells Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem cells   Stem cells I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

I agree with you. I feel that people always worry that a baby is going to be killed in this process. This is not the case; I used a quote in my reply to Morgan's post to explain this. In short it says that what is being used are called "blasocysts, they are a fleeting cell type that disappears after a point in time"(Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research, 2011). To me that shows that at this points it's not at that stage of being a child, it's at the stage of being a cell. Then the same article (in short) says that these cells are used in a dish for "four to five days"(Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research, 2011). These cells may "have the potential of being embryos."(Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research, 2011). If one looks at this as a cell or not a human at this stage of life, it should stray them away from the argument one life for another. These embryos were not taken from women without well, the women donates them (Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research, 2011). The women know of their risk that the embryo has the chance of being destroyed, but in the end it’s just an embryos (Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research, 2011).So if that is the case, why is this problem? I feel that if science finally has the chance to save lives, then that's great. Morgan in her post mentions that these researches may be able to help people with Parkinson's disease, I told her that is really impressive. In my opinion this is such an important step for scientists that people should allow their small steps to become leaps.

Resources:

Unknown:Myths and misconceptions about stem cell research. (2011, January). Retrieved October 23, 2012, from California Institute For Regenetive Medicine: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down

Stem cells
Page 1 of 1