Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stem Cells

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hjackovitz

Stem Cells Empty
PostSubject: Stem Cells   Stem Cells I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am

There are many different views on stem cells today. There are so many different aspects to stem cells and what they are and how they can be used. It is asked if it is ethical to obtain stem cells from embryos respectfully let to die. I feel that it is ethical. If embryos were respectfully let to die, and do die, I don’t see the problem in taking, or obtaining those stem cells for implantation into another person to help them. By doing this, we can help other people with medical conditions. Although enough research hasn’t been done to fully understand everything there is to stem cells, we can still do small things with them right now to help society. The argument made in the post about the rights of people to live is a very good argument. Yes, maybe embryos do have rights to live but so do the people in the hospitals with diseases.

One of the benefits of obtaining these stem cells from dying embryos is stated in an article. It states, "A better understanding of normal cell development will allow us to understand and perhaps correct the errors that cause these medical conditions." ("Research ethics and," 2012). I believe that if the embryos are dying, then use them immediately after they die. But the post stated that there is pretty much no difference between killing and letting them die but there really is a difference. I don't believe in killing the embryos to obtain the embryos but respectively letting them die is okay to me. I feel that people already in person and with diseases should be treated in priority to the embryos that aren't actually born yet. Many people have a probolem with letting these embryos die and then using the stem cells for research and use. It was said that "Pro-life groups have sued the U. S government over stem cell research. This is part of the game that is played with most national issues." ("Benefits of stem," 2003). I feel that it is morally and ethically correct to do this. There are so many benefits to be had by this research and use of stem cells.

Research ethics and stem cells. (2012, January 07). Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Benefits of stem cell research. (2003, November). Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
MorganP

Stem Cells Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem Cells   Stem Cells I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Hunter, I agree with your position. I feel that it is ethical and necessary to obtain embryonic stem cells from embryos that are respectfully left to expire. Many pro-life organizations strongly disprove of obtaining these cells. In a situation such as this, it's impossible to respect all moral values equally. The respect towards human life as well as the duty to prevent or alleviate suffering goes against the taking of a life. For those that are against harvesting embryonic stem cells and ending a life in the process, there are other options. For example, Drs. Donald Landry and Howard Zucker of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons concluded that during in vitro fertilization, there are numerous non-dividing embryos that expire and go to waste (Battey, 2006). Scientists could be able to harvest these deceased embryonic cells in order to utilize them in a laboratory setting. They are also able to use embryos that have been donated for scientific medical research.

Battey, J. (2006, October 06). Stem cell information. Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
Nfausett

Stem Cells Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem Cells   Stem Cells I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I agree with you Hunter, I totally believe that if we can take stem cells from embryos to use on other human beings. Making it so that they can overcome a disease in which they are dealing with I think that killing the embryo would so be worth it like you. I also see your stand point on how taking stem cells from dyeing embryos that you do need to use them quickly before they die. There are many benefits from taking stem cells, and researching them. We find cures, and can research why exactly they die.

Hynass, R. (2011, January). California institute for regenerative medicine. Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
mlboyer

Stem Cells Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem Cells   Stem Cells I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Yes hunter, i agree there is a huge difference between killing and letting die. And while the death of an embryo is not a good event by any standard it can lead to the help of people already with diseases that should indeed take a priority as you said. "It forces us to choose between two moral principles, the duty to prevent or alleviate suffering, and the duty to respect the value of human life" (Hug, 2011), we can not choose both. The truth is we do truely not know enough to comprehend the possible benefits it may yield so it should not only be alowed to continue to be experimented with but government endorsed. As for the group sueing the government over it, are they not playing god with the lives of those who are depending on this research, kind of hypocritical if i do say so myself.

Hug, K. (11, March 23). Embryonic stem cell research: an ethical dilemma . Retrieved from [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stem Cells Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stem Cells   Stem Cells I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stem Cells
Page 1 of 1