Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clinical Trial Participation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
victoria_best94

Clinical Trial Participation Empty
PostSubject: Clinical Trial Participation   Clinical Trial Participation I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 pm

As a patient with a choice, I would not choose to participate in a clinical drug trial. There's not much to benefit from if I did participate. These trials are usally ineffective and are more harmful to our bodies than helpful. In the article, "Inside Clinical Trials: Testing Medical Products on People" It talks about the risks of these trials. It states that, "Treatments have uncomfortable and painful side affects." Side affects would be a major turn off for me. I wouldn't want to go through pain just to earn a few bucks. Which is another thing entirely. How much money am I going to get if I do choose to participate in said trial. On Clinical Connection a forum website much like this one is where people post their experiences with drug trials. Many people stated that the most they have ever gotten out of the trials was $150-$200. I'm affraid that my price would be set much higher than this if I were to partake in such a risky trial. The previous article "Inside Clinical Trials: Testing Medical Products on People" it continues to go on about the risks. It states that side affects are usually temporary and will go away after treatment is ceased, however they can be permanent. I'm sorry to say that this would be my deal breaker. Permanet side affects are enough for me to say no. That is too much harm that could be done to my body.

In another article "7 Things to Know Before You Join a Clinical Trial" It states that these trials are not a substitue for a job. How ture is that. Many people are probably saying that these trials are their new "jobs". That is just pure laziness. Why anyone would want to consider putting medicines that could harm you into your body as job is beyond me. I would never consider this to be a job. Plus it goes on to talk about the fact that you have to walk around and keep a journal of the affects it has on you throughout the day. Most of the time you leave right after given the treatment. You aren't contained in a room and watched like a mouse looking for his cheese in a maze. For one, I wouldn't want to go out in public after these trials. Not knowing what these treatments could do to me is dangerous enough let alone going out and operating a vehicle or even walking on a side walk. Its all just a little to dangerous to me. So as a patient, no I would not participate in a clinical trial. I want to leave this post with a few questions.

1. At what age are you going to be entering these trials?
2. Should their be requirements to even participating in these trials?
3. Should people be limited to a certain amount of trials a year for saftey reason?

Bibliography
Iside Clinical Trials: Testing Medical Products in People. (2011, August 12). Retrieved September 26, 2012, from FDA: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Ballenger, B. (2012, March 9). 7 Things to Know Before You Join a Clinical Trial. Retrieved September 26, 2012, from Money Talks News: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
ckalkhof

Clinical Trial Participation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clinical Trial Participation   Clinical Trial Participation I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Though your points are really good, especially your questions, I disagree. I would totally go through a drug trial. It is not only beneficial to me but also to medical research. If more and more people test these drugs, then maybe more diseases can be cured. Though there are risks, when it comes to life, there are risks in everything. I mentioned in my post about how when one goes to the doctor they are given medication and they never known exactly how they are going to react to this. That to me is like the same thing as these trials. If people can go along with these trials and researches can see these effects, then maybe they can diminish harmful side effects for patients. I do understand what you mean when you talk about how you would not want to go through pain for a few bucks, but not all drug trials volunteers are paid, hence the term volunteers. I do agree with you however on how there should be limitation on how many trails people should go through. I feel that way; people won't be affected by the medication. As for the requirements part, in away there are, requirements. I read an article that stated "Researchers design clinical studies with certain eligibility criteria in mind based on hypothesis they are testing in trial" (Clinical Trials 101, 2012). This information to me shows that it is truly dependent on what trial they are doing to determine who participates. I feel that the idea of it being risky turns people away. These statistics I found in the same article shows the amount of people who are currently part of the Michal J. Fox Foundation. The Michal J. Fox Foundation is a foundation for Parkinson's Disease (PD). What the article said is "According to a 2005 Harris poll commissioned by the Michal J. Fox Foundation, only one in ten people with PD participates in trials. The same Harriss Poll found that over 85% of PD patients are at least some what interested in a trial"(Clinical Trials 101, 2012). I feel that those patients are shying away due to the fear of risks but maybe they could find cheaper treatment for themselves, while helping others with these diseases. I would totally go along with these trials, if the conditions are safe and is ethical; in the end I see nothing wrong with it.

Resources:

Unknown. Clinical Trials 101. (2012). Retrieved September 28, 2012, from Fox Trial Finder (The Michal J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research): [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Back to top Go down

Clinical Trial Participation
Page 1 of 1