Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wasn't Evolution Created?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
victoria_best94

Wasn't Evolution Created? Empty
PostSubject: Wasn't Evolution Created?   Wasn't Evolution Created? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 am

The creationism/evolution topic has been thrown around alot in the past years. It's hard to deteremind whether we should cut something out of a cirriculum or add something else. However, I feel people aren't going to be happy either way. My perosnal belief however is to offer both as possibly elective classes. This way everyone has a chance at happiness and there is little room for people to complain. (although I find that highly unlikely.) I don't believe evolution should be taught in a class setting that is required. I understand most say just because it is taught does not mean you have to accept it. But, we can not force religion on others so why should we be allowed to force our ideals and values on someone.

On an onlin article the Dover, PA school district became the first in the nation to mandate discussion of intelligent design within the science classroom. In 2004, its school board adopted a revision to the high-school biology curriculum which states, “Students will be made aware of gaps/problems in Darwin’s Theory and of other theories of evolution including, but not limited to, Intelligent Design.” I don't believe that this is saying that evolution is wrong, but just like with anything there are missing pieces of the story that have no way of being filled. I also don't think that I am the only one who believes that there are some teachers against teaching evolution.

Anoter question is the alternative, should evolution be taught in school? Another article was posted and this one stated that we need to teach evolution so that the next generation of scientist have the tools they need to succed. That's all find and dandy, but I for one am not planning on being a scientist or go into a field of science (apologies Mrs. Shaftic, it's just not in the cards for me.) Therefor if we can not make it an elective, then if we can't teach one we can not teach another. Especially if some are saying that these views are those which should be taught for further scientis.

I know that it sound silly to say that we should not force what we believe on others, but it's true. We have freedom of religion and we also have freedom of speech and it's wonderful that we are taking advantage of this. However, In my opinion it is not morally right to impose on someones strong beleifs. You wouldn't tell someone what to wear, what sexuality to be, what car to drive, what color hair they should have. So, why should we be forced to teach/learn things that we don't believe in as well.

Religious Doctrine in the Science Classroom; Putting Education & Religious Freedom at Risk. (2004). Retrieved January 30, 2013, from Anti-Defamation League: http://archive.adl.org/issue_religious_freedom/create/creationism5.asp
Kahn, L. H. (2007, November 12). Why eveolution should be taught in public schools. Retrieved January 30, 2013, from The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists : http://www.thebulletin.org/web-edition/columnists/laura-h-kahn/why-evolution-should-be-taught-public-schools

Back to top Go down
mlboyer

PostSubject: Re: Wasn't Evolution Created?   Wasn't Evolution Created? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Victoria you suppourt your argument well and i can tell you truely believe what you are saying. But there are some major holes in what you are saying. take for example that you quoted that it should be taught for the sake of future scienctists and its not for you but there is the fact you are in an Adv. acedemic science class. My main argument with your facts is that you say that you cannot force religion on other people and not judge them or force them to change their lifestyle or their sexuallity but frankly the different religions of the world have been doing exactly that for thousands of years. In fact as i said in my post there are multiple times more deaths in the name of Jesus than in the name of hitler. If you think than it is not morally right to impose your beliefs apon someone not in agreence then you need to take another look at the first commandment. It litterally preaches worship me or else.
Back to top Go down
hjackovitz

PostSubject: reply   Wasn't Evolution Created? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 pm

I really do agree with Matt on his reply Victoria. I did like your view points and I agree with you on most of the points you have made, especially your point about listing these two ideas separately as electives for students to choose which one they would like to study. Matt made a good point about the pushing ideas on other people. That is what religion has done in history. But I do feel that there shouldn't just be evolution in school. Yet, there is another side to it, there are many different religions that believe in many different things, so it would be very difficult to bring something like creation into a school setting. Evolution is a one sided theory. There really isn't near as much variation in the thoughts of evolution as compared to creationism.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wasn't Evolution Created?   Wasn't Evolution Created? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wasn't Evolution Created?
Page 1 of 1