Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weekly post and stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
chenke12

Weekly post and stuff Empty
PostSubject: Weekly post and stuff   Weekly post and stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm

I do not think child obesity is child abuse. When I hear the term "abuse" I think of the actual act of hitting or emotionally hurting the child, not giving them an extra cookie or two after dinner. I do think that after a certain point the parents should take initiative to try to get the child to lose some weight, and i also agree that forceably feeding the child is considered abuse, but if there is no force feeding or other physical/emotional acts then no a child being over weight is not abuse. I would also have to agree with the obvious facts that obesity can cause problems later in life because that's a real proven fact, butsomething like that jsut can't be compared to something like doing crack while pregnant or actually physically and purposely hitting your kids.
One site I looked at, latimes.com, talked about whether in extreme cases childen should be taken away from their parents if the child is too overweight and the parents are the cause. At the point where that even becomes a question I would have to call that abuse because there is no reason for a child to be force fed like that, there's no reason they have to overweight anyway but there comes a point where it just becomes a little too much. Also like I said before I really don't think you can compare something like a child being fat to a child being born addicted to cocaine or a child being physically abused. They're just not the same at all. Basically what I'm saying with all this is I say child obesity is not abuse but forced obesity is, and the comparison of this with anything else is invalid in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

Weekly post and stuff
Page 1 of 1