Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legal or illegal?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kmotter

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Everyone has different thoughts and opinions about people selling there organs for money. My personal opinion is that selling organs for money is wrong and it should not be legal. Selling organs for money can be a very dangerous process. In the article "Which Organs Can I Live Without, and How Much Cash Can I Get for Them", tells about how dangerous it can be. It is also dangerous because you have no medical history about the organ that people sell to you. You have no idea whether it will have a disease or not. You don't even know if it would agree with your body or not. It's already risky when doctors do an organ transplant in a hospital so what makes it not dangerous when you are doing it yourself out in a back alley somewhere? Another problem with harvesting organs is you never get all the money you think you are going to get. The person giving up the organ only gets up to the fraction of the fee. Strangers could take advantage of people by using them for there organs and end up not giving them the money.

I personally feel that harvesting organs is wrong but donating your organs once you are dead is right. Harvesting organs is different then donating in my eyes. If harvesting your organs was legal you would have people killing each other over there organs. Or you would have bidding wars over a certain organ. If someone out bides someone for an organ they both are trying to get, what happens when someone loses? Do they go out and kill both the seller and the bidder? This would cause many problems I feel. So if we do legalize organ harvesting we could have many people dying due to fights over bidding wars.

Last edited by kmotter on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ckalkhof

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Though I don't think that organ harvesting should be illegal, I did like your points. The point that I specifically liked is how this could lead into killing. If people can go to the extremes of using the black market, what stops them from killing for organs? Some things that I have found about organ harvesting is that over 44 people were arrested in Israel for illegal organ trafficking, this included government officials (Choila, 2011). The same article states that only 10% of people that needed kidneys got them (Choila, 2011). They also said because of this, illegal trafficking has increased (Choila, 2011). So if it stays illegal, will more people sell their organs to the black market and enable themselves to have a higher risk to deadly procedures and diseases? If this process was done in a hospital and was legal, maybe these people would have less of chance of getting sick. I still think it should be legal, that way people don't feel the need to put themselves under more of a risk then this process can be, but in the end everything is a risk.
Back to top Go down
Nfausett

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 am

I totally agree with everything you have stated on why not to legalize organ selling. I liked how you stated the sources, and the information that you gained from them together. I agree that you should only donate your organs, and not sell them. Although it may still dangerous it's the best way to handle giving organs to those that need them to live.
Doing this implies less dangerous harms if you just donate them after you have died that way you won't harm yourself trying to help someone else. Also if we need to do more organ transplants we shouldn't sell them we should donate them for the charity of others.
Back to top Go down
Nfausett

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 am

I totally agree with everything you have stated on why not to legalize organ selling. I liked how you stated the sources, and the information that you gained from them together. I agree that you should only donate your organs, and not sell them. Although it may still dangerous it's the best way to handle giving organs to those that need them to live.
Doing this implies less dangerous harms if you just donate them after you have died that way you won't harm yourself trying to help someone else. Also if we need to do more organ transplants we shouldn't sell them we should donate them for the charity of others.
Back to top Go down
mlboyer

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Though i do not share your overall views i believe that you made some valid points. Yes you may not know where the organs are coming from or what may be wrong with them but that is why you should have fairly strict regulation to enforce the quality of any organs acquired. If they do not meet certain standards then it will not be accepted and no money will be given for it. Which might really suck for you if you just cut out your kidney and it gets rejected. I think that the black market plays a part too, and the legalizing of something like this is likely to drop the crime rate by making people resort to less drastic means
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legal or illegal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal or illegal?   Legal or illegal? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legal or illegal?
Page 1 of 1