Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
victoria_best94

Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me! Empty
PostSubject: Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!   Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Although selling and harvesting organs may save millions of people, who is going to say when? If we legalize the buying and selling of human body parts what more are we opening ourselves up to? I know that it is highly unlikely for this to happen but, in 2010 Repo Men hit the big screen. It was a movie about artificial "artiforges" being sold to the public but at a cost much too high to pay. You have 90 days to make each payment for your organ and if in 90 days you don't meet the deadline a "Repo" man will break into your house and take back the property. Is this forshadowing for what could come about if we legalize organ selling? It is very true that our organs are our own and we should be permitted to do with them as we please. However, we were given the option to donate our organs after our time on this earth is over when we get our license. Why would anyone want to removie their oragans while they are still livin. With the legalization of organ selling, people are talking about having unessicary surgey to remove an organ to put it into someone elses body or at least that is the general idea. It has been proven that a living donor's kidney will keep you alive longer than cadaver will, but does that mean we should give them up?

I feel that this is ethically wrong. Selling your organ to the highest bidder, and then what you go on you day knowing you gave up your organ for money. This opens the black market way up. They will now feel like they can

Last edited by victoria_best94 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nfausett

PostSubject: Re: Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!   Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I agree with your whole statement that it is a bad idea to sell organs for money, because what happens if it does come down to someone taking the organ back if you didn't make all of the payments. Where if you donate then we don't have to worry about someone having to pay for their organ in a certain time. I also think it's kinda stupid how they have to get the organ taken out of them possibly causeing them to die. Also as you said Victoria about it leading more into the black market I believe that it will end up at this point, and probably killings occur to take away organs and sell them. You shouldn't beable to let the highest bidder to take the organ.
Back to top Go down
cbowley

PostSubject: Re: Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!   Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I think you had a pretty good overrall argument. The only problem is I really don't think that you can base any type of argument on something that happened in a movie. Not saying it couldn't come true but it's kind of like the saying "do you believe everything you hear?". Also this could be considered a slippery slope argument (which is a fallacy) because you're basically saying that if we legalize organs then all of the American society will turn into completely random chaos. America has had much worse problems and we haven't turned into that kind of murderous country yet so how would that cause such a huge reaction?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!   Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Give 'em a liver, they'll take my kidney. They'll want every part of me!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm :: Collaboration Forum 2012-2013 :: Week 1-
Jump to: