Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm

Objectives: Examine in detail a bioethics issue- Explore opinions of those in the forum community- Participate in a class discussion

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's Whats Inside That Counts!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ckalkhof

It's Whats Inside That Counts! Empty
PostSubject: It's Whats Inside That Counts!   It's Whats Inside That Counts! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 pm

There has been recent discussion on whether or not it should be legal for one to be able to sell his or her organs. As strange as that sounds, I don't see a problem in this. A lot of people are worried about the sanitary aspect of this, they feel that this will lead into difficult surgeries and people selling their organs on the black market, but that is their choice (Carey, 2010). In the end when it comes to something so deranged as selling your own organs, the worst possibilities can come to mind. The big picture shows to me one thing, if something is illegal, people will find a way around it. So no matter if one feels that it's wrong, people are still going to do it. I read an article that made a lot of really good points. It states how many people shy away from donating their organs, even after death and how pricing their organs may change the way they feel (Selling Human Organs, 2007). It makes perfect sense, people get money for their family after they die and help with a good cause. In this economy, who has the time to think of what one person may think as the unethical thing? It's not taking people, it's helping people. What I mean by this is, if there are people in a rut and they have nothing they can do about it, and are willing to sell their organs, then why deny them? That could really be beneficial to two different people, the person short on cash and the person in need of an organ.

The same article that I read before makes another really good point. It states that with more people selling their organs, more people can obtain the organs that they need and thus, they can live (Selling Human Organs, 2007). I agree with that, if hospitals have the organs that they need, then more people will have a chance. Let’s face it, donating your organs sounds pretty scary and if it takes something as a price tag to enable people to make the choice to give their organs up, then why not? The only thing that I am not sure of is the cost of the surgery. Who actually pays for that? Is it the one who needs an organ or is it the person selling their organ? Also who pays for the organ? I mean in the end does that mean that more rich people are going to live over the poor? How many people could actually pay for a kidney that costs $5.74 million dollars (Carey, 2010)? I know I never will. The only solution to that would to ask for medical expenses, so is that taking people? It’s truly dependent on how one looks at it. Maybe if a poor person wants to sell their organs, they could ask for their medical expenses before hand. The problem with that is how much money will that person get, according to Sally Setel, people only get half the price (Carey, 2010), but is that not with anything someone sells? I feel that it's that person’s choice, if they want to sell their organs, then let them? Let’s think of the big picture for a second, more people get organs, people who need money get it, you can live without a kidney or an eye, right (Carey, 2010)? If people can do procedures legally, in turn these surgeries may not be as risky, thus there is less of a chance of sanitation issues, where at a black market there would be (Selling Human Organs, 2007). There may be risks but there is so much good that could come from something that sounds so bad, so yes, selling ones organs should be legal, it’s what’s inside that counts, right?

Last edited by ckalkhof on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MorganP

It's Whats Inside That Counts! Empty
PostSubject: Organ Preservation   It's Whats Inside That Counts! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Clairice, you made some very valid points in your response. I see where you're coming from with increasing a hospitals supply of organs, however, it's important to consider the preservation of organs. Differing organs vary in preservation length. For example, a heart and lungs can be preserved for 4-6 hours, liver, pancreas, and kidneys for approximately 24 and 48 hours, respectively. There is also a limited time period for safe donor organ transportation. In fact, healthy donor organs sometimes go unused because there are not matched recipients within a close enough range to receive the organ (TransMedic, 2012). Hospitals would be unable to "stock their shelves" with usable organs due to this time limitation.

TransMedics. (2012). Transmedics. Retrieved from
Back to top Go down

It's Whats Inside That Counts!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Advance Bio/ Comp & Comm :: Collaboration Forum 2012-2013 :: Week 1-
Jump to: